King Charles III and Prince William visit people queuing to see the Queen’s coffin

King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales, greeted members of the public queuing to see the Queen lying in state on a surprise walk through London on Saturday. The royals were spotted shaking hands with well-wishers near Lambeth Bridge. Prince William appeared to be in good spirits as he spoke to the crowd and asked several people how long they had been waiting. Some mourners shouted “hip hip hooray” and “God save the King” as Charles passed. Teddy bear to Charles; the fictional bear has become associated with the Queen since appearing in a sketch alongside the character during her Platinum Jubilee celebrations. People have been queuing for hours to see Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin since she began lying in Westminster Hall on Wednesday. The line was approaching full capacity on Saturday, the government said. At lunchtime on Saturday, the government queue tracker said the current wait time was 2 p.m. Earlier on Saturday Charles III visited the Metropolitan Police headquarters in the ward from Lambeth in London to thank police and emergency service officials involved in planning and carrying out events since Monday’s funeral for the Queen will be the ‘biggest single police event’ that the Metropolitan Police of London has ever undertaken, Assistant Deputy Commissioner Stuart Cundy said at a press conference on Friday. The Queen’s grandchildren, including Princes William and Harry – are expected to watch by her coffin later on Saturday. On Sunday, King Charles will host a reception at Buckingham Palace for ‘overseas heads of state and official guests’ ahead of the state funeral of the late Queen The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan , received an invite to the reception in error, a source with knowledge of what happened told CNN. As an official state occasion, the palace said the king would be accompanied only by working members of the royal family. The source told CNN they “imagined” an administrative error had occurred. The couple were not “disinvited” from the reception, as reported by some media. A Sussex spokesperson had no comment.

King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales greeted members of the public queuing to see the Queen in state on Saturday during a surprise walk through London.

The royals were spotted shaking hands with well-wishers near Lambeth Bridge. Prince William appeared to be in good spirits as he spoke to the crowd and asked several people how long they had been waiting.

Some mourners shouted “hip hip hooray” and “God save the King” as Charles passed.

A woman handed Charles a Paddington Bear toy; the fictional bear has become associated with the Queen since appearing in a sketch alongside the character during her Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

People have been queuing for hours to see Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin since she began lying in Westminster Hall on Wednesday.

The line was approaching full capacity on Saturday, the government said. As of lunchtime on Saturday, the government’s queue tracking system said the current waiting time was 2 p.m.

Earlier on Saturday, Charles III visited Metropolitan Police headquarters in London’s borough of Lambeth to thank police and emergency service officials involved in planning and carrying out events since the death of the late queen.

Monday’s funeral for the Queen will be the “largest single policing event” London’s Metropolitan Police have ever undertaken, Deputy Deputy Commissioner Stuart Cundy told a news conference on Friday.

The Queen’s grandchildren, including Princes William and Harry, are expected to watch by her coffin later on Saturday.

On Sunday, King Charles will host a reception at Buckingham Palace for “heads of state and official guests from overseas” ahead of the late Queen’s state funeral.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan received an invitation to the reception by mistake, a source familiar with what happened told CNN.

As an official state occasion, the palace said the king would be accompanied only by working members of the royal family. The source told CNN they “imagined” an administrative error had occurred. The couple were not “disinvited” from the reception, as reported by some media.

A Sussex spokesperson had no comment.

Donald E. Patel